16 January 2010

Surname Saturday - Craft

My Craft family line spends most of its time in Elbert and Hart Counties of Georgia and makes an occasional appearance in Anderson County, South Carolina. I've traced this line back to Willis Craft, born 1809 in Elbert County. Other researcher's information suggest that his parents may have been John Craft and Mary Moss. I have not seen the documentation that suggests this.

Willis Craft married Martha T. Franklin on 26 Nov 1832 in Morgan County, Georgia. They had a number of children, including Mary, John Franklin, William Anderson, Willis Moss, Martha A, James D, Terrah A, and Richard P.

Willis was a merchant and a farmer and represented Elbert County in the Georgia State House from 1857 - 1858. He died on 21 March 1874 in Elbert County.

My line follows his son William, who married Rossie Alexander. Their son, George Robert "Bob" Craft, was my Great-Great Grandfather. He married Effie Verona Powell and moved to Birmingham, Alabama in their later years. Their son, Bennie Craft, married Sally Ruth Evans and they were the parent's of my Grandfather, Thomas S. Craft.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails