28 March 2011

The Will of Moses Cash - Amanuensis Monday

     Moses Cash was my 5x-Great Grandfather, said to have been born around 1785 in Amherst County, Virginia. His will was recorded in Elbert County, Georgia in 1856. I located this will on microfilm at the Georgia Archive and I've transcribed his will below as best I can. My 4x-Great Grandmother Elizabeth Cash Alexander is mentioned in Item 4.


Moses Cash's will 1856

State of Georia \
Elberty County /            In the name of God Amen.
I, Moses Cash of the state and county aforesaid being of sound mind and disposing memory and calling to mind the uncertainty of mortal existence and that it is appointed once for all men to die have thought proper to make and ordain this my last will and testament and First as touching my futural state in a world beyond this I resign my mortal body to its mother earth from whence it came and my immortal soul to God who gave it trusting in the metros of my redeemer for the remission of all my sins and on touching my temporal estate which it hath pleased God in his great goodness to bless me with in this world I gave and bequeath in the manner following, to wit.

Item 1st. It is my will and desire that all my just debts be paid funeral and burial expences.

Item 2nd. It is my will and intention that my beloved wife Nancy Cash have all my estate both real and personal to have and to hold the same during her natural life or widowhood and upon the happening of either her death or intermarriage that it is my will and desire for my three owns to wit James G Cash, Moses R. Cash, and Seborn J. Cash to have the tract of land whereon I now live to be equally divided between them by the said James G. Moses R. and Seborn J. Cash paing to my two daughters to with Nancy F. Cash and Lucy J. Cash the sum of one Hundred and fifty dollars in cash which amount is to be equally divided between them.

Item 3rd. It is my will and destire that at the death of my said wife that all of my slaves or negro property to be loted off into five lots as equal as that situation of the property will admit of and to be drawn for by my five children, to wit, James G Cash, Moses R. Cash, Seborn J. Cash, Nancy F. Cash and Lucy J. Cash all to shear and sheare alike.

Item 4th. It is my will also at the death of my said wife that all of my said estate not otherwise disposed of to be sold and the proceeds to be disposed of as follows, to wit, Permealey McMullan wife of Thomas McMullan, Elizabeth Alexander, wife of George Alexander, Sarah Craft wife of William Craft, Mary Daniel wife of Allen Daniel and Reuban Cash all to have the sum of one dollar each it being their share together with what they have had heretofore, and the balance to be Equally divided among my five first named children to wit, James G. Cash, Moses R. Cash, Seborn J. Cash, Nancy F. Cash and Lucy J. Cash all to share alike.

Item the 5th. It is my will that my three sons to wit James G. Moses R. & Seborn J. Cash have a good Horse saddle and bridle each when they arrive to the age of twenty one years.

Item 6th. It is my will that my two daughters Nancy F. Cash and Lucy J. Cash each to have a good Bed and Beding when they become of age.

Item 7th. It is my will that my said wife Nancy Cash have full power and authority during her widowhood to sell and dispose of any ?? stock of any kind crops of cotton, corn or any thing she except land or engross or she may ?? for her own use and benefit.

Item 8th. I do hereby constitute and appoint my son James G. Cash and Anderston Craft my Executors to this my last will and Testament hereby Ratifying and confirming this and this ?? and renouncing all or any others In Testimony ?? have hereunto set my hand and seal this thirtieth day of March Eighteen Hundred and Forty Six.

  Signed. Sealed and acknowledged
  In presents of us and attested at                               Moses Cash (Seal)
  the request of the Testator
  James M. Cleveland
  Lewis R. Shiftlet
  Anderson Craft


will_cash_moses_1 will_cash_moses_2 will_cash_moses_3

1 comment:

Barbara Poole said...

Nice job in transcribing, and like you, I often can't read certain words. I especially like the dark background you use.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails