20 November 2011

The 116th Field Artillery

     So yesterday I found the death certificate for my GGG Uncle, Millard Waters. He was buried in the Mountain Home National Cemetery, a veteran's cemetery. I placed the burial on FindAGrave.com with a photo request and less than 24 hours later I received the photo!


     I love how military headstones give so much information about the veteran's service. From here, I was able to find out more information about the 31st Division, which was part of the National Guard. They were in France from Sep 1918 to Dec 1918.

     I was also able to find this photo from the Library of Congress showing the 116th Field Artillery at Camp Wheeler, Georgia in April 1918. Millard is likely one of the tiny figures in the photo.



     I'm still curious about Millard's participation in World War I. I'm going to try and request his service record and see what I can get.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails