29 September 2012

Upcoming: Georgia Family History Expo

     I'm getting excited about the upcoming Georgia Family History Expo this November 9th and 10th. This will be the third year this event will be held at the Gwinnett Center in Duluth, Georgia. I've been invited to be an Official Blogger this year, which is very flattering.

     Let me tell you why I'm so excited about this year's expo:
  • The Keynote speaker. Robert S Davis.  This guy is smart and entertaining. I sat in on one of his classes last year and I plan to do so again this year. 
  • Low Price. For only $69 (before October 9th) this two day event is very affordable. Both my mom and sister are planning to attend.
  • Socializing.  It's fun to get out and meet other genealogists. They have ideas, tips and stories to share. Who knows, maybe we're related? You might find that you miss a class when you get caught up chatting.
  • The Classes.  It's going to be hard to pick classes. Topics range from geologically or ethnically specific to organizational tips. From new technology to old handwriting analysis. From source citation to DNA for genealogy. Each year there are new classes on new topics.  I might have to split up my group to cover multiple classes in the same time period.
  • The Exhibitors.  This year I really need to find time for the Ask-the-Pros booth. There will also be big companies such as expo sponsors Ancestry.com and FamilySearch, as well as local societies and businesses. Interestingly, the soon-to-be closed to the public Georgia Archive will have a booth there. 
     And that last note, about the Georgia Archive, is one reason why I think that it's important for anyone who can attend to do so.  It looks like, despite our best efforts, that the Georgia Archive is going to close at the end of October.  We need people to turn out to the Expo this year to show that Genealogy = Money for the state of Georgia.  The higher the turnout, the more we show our government that access to the Georgia Archive is important to the citizens of Georgia.

     I'm looking forward to seeing everyone again this year!



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails