05 November 2013

Travel Tuesday: Colonial Williamsburg

     A month from today I'll be setting out on vacation to Colonial Williamsburg (Virginia).  This trip will be my first time there and will be the furthest north I've ever been.  I've been planning the details of my trip and hope not to miss any must-see attractions.

     Although I didn't plan it purposefully, I'll be there during the weekend they call "Grand Illuminations," though I'll only be there for the morning of the big day (Sunday).  This is the beginning of their Christmas season, which seems like a great time to be there.

     If you've been to Colonial Williamsburg, especially during Christmas, I'd love any suggestions or tips, good or bad.  I'm very interested in learning about the everyday lives of people in the 18th century.  Here's what we've got planned so far:

  • Orientation Tour
  • Time for most of the "Trades," old fashioned Shops, Governors Palace and hopefully, but lastly, old homes
  • Attend, "A Christmas Tale," "A Public Audience with a Founding Father," "Order in the Court," "Fifes and Drums March," "A Revolutionary Holiday," "Ghost Tavern Walk," and "Christmastide at Home."
  • We have a reservation at Shields Tavern and will eat someplace cheaper the other nights
  • Grab lunch at The Cheese Shop and... ? two other days
  • Shop in the Market Square and Merchants Square 
    So please, please share some suggestions!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails